Ornfloya is a small hill located in the tiny town of Sommaroy. After a small hike to its top, you can see the ocean and the village at once.
How to Get There
There is a small car park next to the start of the trail at 69°36’28.6″N 18°04’12.2″E. It’s a mere 5-minute drive from Sommaroy or an hour from Tromso. If you cross the road from there, you will see a sign with the word “Ornfloya” inscribed on it. Simply follow the trail to start the hike.
The Hike Itself
Being a short hike (minus the wind), we quickly reached the end. Here’s a look at the view.
The really strong winds made this hike more challenging. We hiked back as fast as we could since the rain was also about to fall.
- Check the weather before hiking. You don’t want to get caught up in a mini hurricane.
- There are no toilets anywhere nearby, so plan accordingly.
- Hiking sticks are a helpful tool.
- You can do this as a day trip from Tromso but if you don’t mind transferring hotels, Sommaroy is worthy of a one night stop. We stayed in a lovely hotel – the only one in town. Check it out here!
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen.